Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
I want to book a Great Walk e.g. Milford Track. How do I go about it?
- All booking for Great Walks, including hut bookings is done throughDOC Information Huts, Hut Bookings, Campsites.
I would like to walk . . . Do I need to Book?
- Yes, if it is a great walk or hut bookings apply to certain tracks managed by DOC Information Huts, Hut Bookings, Campsites. Otherwise, you need to arrive early at the huts to guarantee yourself a bed. A limited number of bunks at each hut.
I would like to book for . . . Can you do that?
- No, I can advise you on the best places to go, how you can plan your trip with your limited time in New Zealand. Check out DOC Information Huts, Hut Bookings, Campsites.
Are there any huts that provide food and a bed for the night?
- Only guided walk companies provide this option. Check out Guided Walks, New Zealand Tracks Tramping Information Shelter.
Do New Zealand Tramping Huts provide cooking and sleeping equipment?
All New Zealand huts unless they belong to private owners and guided walks groups, do not provide any cooking equipment, food and bedding. It is expected that you carry in your own food, cooking equipment and bedding.
I would like to look for a 4 days walks with huts, food provided at the huts?
- This service is only provided by guided walks groups. Check out Guided Walks, New Zealand Tracks
Would I like to do a 4 day walk with huts and tenting options in the North and South Islands?
- I can advise you on a number of options. Check out About Tramping, Trampers Page, Tramping and Hiking Clubs, Outdoor Activities, Tracks, Transport, Accommodation, New Zealand Great Walks, New Zealand National Parks, New Zealand Tracks, and DOC Track Publications.
What is a backcountry Pass? How can I go about purchasing a Backcountry Pass?
- Department of Conservation issues all backcountry passes. There are some huts you cannot use your backcountry pass on. All backcountry passes can be purchased from your nearest DOC visitor and information centres and see Backcountry Pass
My family and I would like to enjoy homestay accommodation while in New Zealand where can I find out more information?
- There is a range of homestay accommodation in New Zealand to meet your needs. Check out accommodation link
I want to join a tramping or hiking club in New Zealand. Where can I find more information?
- There are a number of tramping and hiking clubs available in New Zealand. Check out about tramping, tramping clubs, and trampers page for more information.
I have a special interest in New Zealand Conservation, Native Birds, Native Flora and Fauna. Where do I go for more information?
- There are numerous places you can visit. Check out New Zealand Conservation, Native Birds, Native Flora and Fauna.
I am looking for tramping, hiking, travel guides, books and maps, information tramping and hiking areas for New Zealand. So I can plan my tramping trip while in New Zealand.
- Check out Books and Maps, New Zealand Tracks, Outdoor Activities, New Zealand National Parks, New Zealand Great Walks, New Zealand Tracks, New Zealand Photos, Trampers Pages.
Where can I find out more about key facts and tourism opportunities in New Zealand?
- Check out Tourism Net, Adventure Travel Information and Outdoor Activities.
Can I hire camping equipment while in New Zealand?
- There are a number of places available for hire. Check out Outdoor Camping Equipment
How are New Zealand Tramping and Hiking Tracks Graded?
- Check out New Zealand Tramping Information – Tracks & Routes Graded Systems
Where can I find out more information on what to expect while tramping & hiking in New Zealand?
- Check out New Zealand Tramping Information – Tramping and Hiking
What is a short walk or a day walk in New Zealand?
- Check out New Zealand Tramping Information – Short Walks, Day Walks, Day Hikes
What is the difference between a track and a route for New Zealand tracks?
- Check out New Zealand Tramping Information – Tracks and Routes
What type of shelter is available for backcountry hikers and trampers in New Zealand?
- Check out New Zealand Tramping Information – Shelter
What is the difference between true left and true right on New Zealand tracks when reading maps?
- Check out New Zealand Tramping Information – True Left and True Right
Are the times for tracks and routes realistic?
- Check out New Zealand Tramping Information – Times and Altitude, Tramping and Hiking Track Changes
What type of maps and publications are available in New Zealand for recognised tramping and hiking tracks?
- Check out New Zealand Tramping Information – Maps